Dorel Juvenile, a segment of Dorel Industries, Inc. (TSX:DII.B, DII.A) is a world class juvenile products company. Dorel Juvenile’s powerfully branded products include global juvenile brands Safety 1st, Quinny, Maxi-Cosi and Tiny Love, complemented by regional brands such as Cosco, Bébé Confort and Infanti. Dorel Industries Inc. has annual sales of US$2.6 billion and employs approximately 10,000 people in facilities located in twenty-five countries worldwide. We are continuously extending our leading market position and believe team spirit, personal drive, and accountability can make a real difference in achieving the sustainable growth essential to our future. We research, design, develop, and test our products in-house, giving employees opportunities to gain inter-departmental experience. Our aim is to introduce and grow talent at all levels of our organization. Our global organization and our international supplier and customer base allow employees to collaborate with juvenile colleagues and partners from all over the world. Working at Dorel Juvenile means having a real impact on people’s lives. Come join our team…together we care about the precious lives of children.
The Design Manager will be responsible for leading the design and innovation of hard and soft goods across all juvenile categories while interfacing with the global design team. You will have experience and a proven record of leading a team of Industrial Designers in developing successful consumer-relevant products and have the confidence and ability to predict “what’s next”.
• Take a holistic approach to design and development – understanding the importance of close collaboration with cross-functional partners; with marketing in the early stages to frame the consumer context and develop the insight; with engineering to provide full integration of design as projects go into tooling.
• Lead and clearly communicate the strategic vision and develop short and long-term plans to achieve the business objectives. Have knowledge of current trends, materials and innovations within juvenile products design.
• Familiarity and experience with overseas manufacturing including communicating across language and cultural barriers. Knowledge of Juvenile Product category standards, engineering and manufacturing practices.
• Manage department and product development budgets while having the ability to leverage internal talent and external resources to deliver world-class design solutions.
• Be the hands-on Industrial Designer on a project of your own, alongside your managerial duties. As such, you are fully capable of calling on your experience and excellent design skills at any time.
• Demonstrated experience working within interdisciplinary team environments and fostering opportunities for cross-disciplinary work and collaboration along with navigating Intellectual Property in a competitive product category.
• Accountable and capable manager of process, resources and budgets with excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills.
• Strong aesthetic sense, with ability to evaluate and make recommendations for improvement.
• Ability to create and evaluate 2D concept drawings and translate into 3D surface and CAD models.
• Comfortable constructing bread boards and concept models
• In-depth experience with CAD, Rapid Prototyping, and Photo Realistic Rendering.
• Strong knowledge of plastics and metals materials and manufacturing processes, from raw materials to finished goods.
• Self-motivation, excellent communication and robust follow up skills.
• Strong computer skills, specifically in MS Office Suite and Adobe Creative Suite. Photoshop and Illustrator. Experience with 3D CAD software required, preferably SolidWorks.
• Strong knowledge of products and processes used by competitors, strive to assure that our own methods and processes are uniquely efficient.
• Follow fashion/lifestyle trends, identify emerging technologies. Lead cross-functional product brainstorming.
• Familiarity with textiles and sewn products.
• Application of consumer insights to innovative design solutions.
• Demonstrable experience bringing products from concept to production.
• Develop patent-able features and product concepts. Drive competitive advantage.
• Create visual and functional prototypes for research and internal review
• Communicate design intent to factories by creating CAD, Technical ID Specifications detailing fit, finishes, color, graphics, etc.
• Collaborate with Engineering and Product Marketing to innovate, design and implement design solutions
Education, Licenses, and/or Certification Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design or a related field
• 10+ years of relevant design and leadership experience in consumer products in an international environment
• An online or PDF portfolio with your resume submission
Are you ready to grow with us?
The people behind our products and brands make Dorel an even stronger company. We are extending our leading market position and believe team spirit, personal drive and accountability can make a real difference in achieving sustainable growth. This is essential to our future. We invite you to grow with us!
Want to work with us?